Explore

About me

Am a contradiction of sorts. i love going out and having a good time with friends, and i can also stay home chill out over a book or a movie..

Am very passionate about writing, so give me a topic and watch me float away into wonderland... Love reading books- sometimes i read 3books simultaneously, crazy about music- need it all around me, all the time and ofcourse, i totally am ga ga goo goo over my 7yr old naughty brat- Floppy!! errr, Prince Floppy!! :)

Sunday, December 3, 2017

Vegas and all the jazz.. Part 2.. Hoover Dam

Well, after an eventful first few hours at Vegas
and the fantastic visit to Grand Canyon, 
I was all set for the 2nd round...











Where were we headed? Next on the agenda was Hoover Dam... I had seen images of the place and read about it but this was the 1st time I was actually going to see it.. We drove down the deserted road and then the bus pulled into a parking lot. All around was nothing but mountains and a bridge, I also spotted a sign board saying "Welcome to Nevada", but there was no sight of the Dam. I wondered if it was hidden away and I would walk around the corner and ta da, it would loom large. But that was not the case. There was a walkway with a spiral pathway going up the hill. All along the way, there were  boards talking about the Dam, how it was built, how long it took and so on. Quite informative and detailed. 

Thus began the walk up the slope, while it wound round and round , going up quite a bit, it wasn't a tiring walk. There was a curved structure of sorts with stone benches near the top, along with few more information boards, before you step on to the bridge sidewalk and see the Dam down below.

From the boards, I came to know that the Hoover Dam, once known as Boulder Dam, is a concrete arch-gravity dam in the Black Canyon of the Colorado River, on the border between Arizona and Nevada.Hoover Dam impounds Lake Mead, and is located near Boulder City, Nevada.. It was built between 1931 and 1936 by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation and is named for President Herbert Hoover; from 1933 to 1947 it was known as Boulder Dam. A key unit on the Colorado, the dam is a major supplier of hydroelectric power and provides for flood control, river regulation, and improved navigation.

We could feel the entire sidewalk vibrate every time a car drove by on the bridge behind us. Not to forget how windy it was.. I nearly thought I was going to be blown away... After a few minutes standing there, seeing all the structures around the Dam, we made our way back down the path to the parking lot. I could still feel the path vibrate with the traffic increasing with every minute...  As I made my way towards the vehicle, I thought about what it must be like to go closer to the Dam and witness the water gushing out the doors.... Amazing how much history a place offers..

A few links to interesting read about the Dam- 
http://www.history.com/news/history-lists/7-things-you-might-not-know-about-the-hoover-dam https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoover_Dam Stay tuned for more from my trip to USA....

1 comment:

  1. Compare Cabs & Hotel price, features and book according to your budget at Zyppys web and App - Call at +91-9014191419/8688901902 for bookings! http://www.zyppys.com/

    ReplyDelete

Leave your footprint so i know you visited.. Thank you..