Explore

About me

Am a contradiction of sorts. i love going out and having a good time with friends, and i can also stay home chill out over a book or a movie..

Am very passionate about writing, so give me a topic and watch me float away into wonderland... Love reading books- sometimes i read 3books simultaneously, crazy about music- need it all around me, all the time and ofcourse, i totally am ga ga goo goo over my 7yr old naughty brat- Floppy!! errr, Prince Floppy!! :)

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Celebrating Ganesha's Birthday- Vinayaka Chathurthi

 It is only fitting that i do this post today, celebrating Ganesha's birthday- Vinayaka Chathurthi as we call it. I have done a few posts earlier i recall.. Ah, here they are  ...

Today, gramma did the puja at 7am unlike the usual 9-10am. We were all up, ready and waiting for the priest by 6.30am..

I love collecting Ganesha idols,  and it has me feeling good every time someone gifts me a Ganesha idol- irrespective of what it is made of or how big or small it is. I wish i had a space to show them off, but for now some are in the living room curio, some in puja room, some near the computer and others in my cupboard.

 

Ganesha ready for the puja 

3 new ganesha's in my collection... 2 smaller ones are made of glass[shall try getting a better pic]

Ganesha reminds me of my trip to Goa. Why? well, during my visit, one day i headed out to Old Goa- where i also managed to visit an old Portugese house. I wish i had been more interested in history, would have dug deeper to learn about the owners and their lifestyle back in the days..

So, as i wandered through the rooms, noticing the little details on the curtains and sofa corners. As I turned a corner i was in for a lovely surprise. I spotted not one, but 2 small rooms with a towering cupboard fitted with glass doors. What did they hold? Shelves filled with Ganesha idols- small, big, clay, stone, metal, and just about every other material you can dream off, some were standing, some lying down, while others were playing musical instruments. It was such a treat. I spotted a guide leading a group of eager tourists wandering to the very room. Stood ground to see if i could catch some insight into this.

One cupboard filled with Ganesha idols

And lo behold, he was telling them how a Portugese family had once lived in the house, very wealthy family with a Brahmin cook. Years later, when the cook had passed away and they were ready to leave Goa,  the child in the family insisted they leave the Ganesha collection intact... Sweet child & lovely gesture!

Do you have any interesting Ganesha Stories? Do share.... Happy Vinayaka Chathurthi...

7 comments:

  1. Ganesha is one God, who brings a smile on my face, whenever wherever I see an idol of Him.

    Such a cute post, for His bday :)

    Kozhukattai sapittacha ??? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's very interesting :)

    Happy festival Aarti. I loved the bigger Ganesha (the non-glass one). Very very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice post, Aarti!!! I love this festival too, but since we dont have the puja this year, we decided to go off somewhere for the first time!! still made my ganesha idols though... and gave them to relatives to do the puja!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the Ganesha idol in mud. It is authentic! Nice! Happy Vinayaka Chathurthi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ganesha idols look so good. I wish I can have a collection too.

    ReplyDelete

  6. Clinnovo is offering internships,Online courses,Post graduate diploma courses in Clinical Research,Clinical Data Management,SAS Imaging analysis.

    Ph: 9912868928 04064635501 contact@clinnovo.com www.clinnovo.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave your footprint so i know you visited.. Thank you..